Members Login
 

Topic: Currently Reading.

Post Info
High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
RE: Currently Reading.
Permalink  
 

What's that about Macha? Title sounds interesting.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Children Of The Forest VP
Status: Offline
Posts: 759
Date:
Permalink  
 
I know it would be considered blasphemous by some, but I have need to put behind me at present,
ASOIAF reads . I have completed 3 Dunk and Egg Tales ( as of this week ) and shelving my re-read
of all 5 ASOIAF until much later ( from now). I need to breathe,inhale & exhale.

I've picked up the latest Zadie Smith book ( well it's now in paperback ) " On Beauty ". I began
her works with her very first book " White Teeth ". I think BBC or PBS ( public broadcasting system,
in the States ) picked it up as a mini series. I later picked it up on CD as well to listen to as I
worked on some research project at work. Anyways, suburb author, mature beyond her years.

Zadie Smith is from London and well known now, most or all her books are best sellers or on
The New York Times Bestseller list. " Can't say fairer that that ! "

__________________

" None is so blind as those who will not see  "

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
I'm with you there, gonna finish Azincourt and start a re-read of Lionheart before I move on to AFFC, also need a little ASOIAF breather.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
I can't get enough of Cormac McCarthy lately. My inner cowboy needs to escape.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Cormac McCarthy..hmmm, the name doesn't ring a bell. Tell us more.

Anybody here read Amos Oz? I love that man.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
"All the Pretty Horses", "No Country for Old Men", "the Road", "Blood Meridian". Very Americana, Old Wetern"y" style, except "the Road". "The Road" is one of the finest novels I have ever read, but very depressing and gut wrentching.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
He wrote "No Country for Old Men"? Have to check that one out, at least. I only saw the adaptation. Very solid work.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
The movie is almost verbatim. It's like reading the screenplay. But it gives more insight into the sheriff character played by Tommy Lee Jones.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Children Of The Forest VP
Status: Offline
Posts: 759
Date:
Permalink  
 
This conversation brings the Coen Brothers to mind as directors. the movie " No Country for Old Men "
and " Lady Killers" come to mind. Very odd guys and truly gifted at making the bizarre an intrigued story
to watch. Another award winner was their " Fargo".

__________________

" None is so blind as those who will not see  "

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Oh the Lady killers was such a lovely surprise. I knew the old British version with Alec Guiness but I found that I enjoyed this one more. It was hysterical, and I almost never laugh when watching comedies.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Children Of The Forest VP
Status: Offline
Posts: 759
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

Sharon Penman is in a league of her own, I've never read a novel that was as well researched, as true to history with such accurate rendering of historical characters. Her depiction of Richard the Lionheart during the third crusade was awe inspiring


 found it Aegon, I just have to make up my mind of which book to purchase.



__________________

" None is so blind as those who will not see  "

Children Of The Forest VP
Status: Offline
Posts: 759
Date:
Permalink  
 
" On Beauty " by Zadie Smith, is taking me far from ASOIAF for the moment. The pace is so different,
very modern England and USA. Her first book , " White Teeth " was incredibly witty and easy to read.
That one was about a Bangladeshi man that hates being confused with Pakistani, and his best friend
Archie. Their families and adventures are made for TV, I believe it may have aired on BBC, before I came
to know of the book.

__________________

" None is so blind as those who will not see  "

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I read it a while back but I remembered it now because they recently did a stage adaptation that's apparently very successful. I loved the book, it's written with such warmth. Very witty and very tender. It's a short read as well, I highly recommend it.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Braavosi Water Dancer
Status: Offline
Posts: 1815
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

Mark Haddon's "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". I read it a while back but I remembered it now because they recently did a stage adaptation that's apparently very successful. I loved the book, it's written with such warmth. Very witty and very tender. It's a short read as well, I highly recommend it.


 I read it one Christmas night and found it so terribly witty! Love it. Recomend it wholeheartedly.



__________________

“Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.

 
 

 

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
Just found out that "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is being made into a film. Read this one again over the weekend. Charming and engrossing.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2648
Date:
Permalink  
 
DonalNoyesArm wrote:

I just started "Fevre Dream" ( I know, I have GRRM withdrawals), also "Day By Day Armageddon", a great zombie apocalypse book.


 In case of Zombie Apocalypse, get behind a gamer! It is known. omfg.gif



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2391
Date:
Permalink  
 
Tir Airgid wrote:
Mags Giantsbabe wrote:

How else adores Terry Pratchet?


Me!! Here! How else would you explain my signature?


 I am totally a fan of Pratchett and have read all the Discworld novels including the Tiffany Aching ones. 



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
I'm really enjoying the Silmarillion atm, Though it's the audio book version, maybe I should post this under currently listening?

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Rygar wrote:

Just found out that "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is being made into a film. Read this one again over the weekend. Charming and engrossing.


 I should probably get this, I've heard only good things about it. 



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 

@Tir, Cary and anyone here who is a Terry Pratchett fan. I've stumbled onto this, apparently a TV series based on his City Watch Discworld novels has been greenlit, with the first season consisting of 13 episodes. 



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Braavosi Water Dancer
Status: Offline
Posts: 1815
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

@Tir, Cary and anyone here who is a Terry Pratchett fan. I've stumbled onto this, apparently a TV series based on his City Watch Discworld novels has been greenlit, with the first season consisting of 13 episodes. 


 Very interesting. I have my reservations though, Pratchett's wit and humour doesn't seem to transcribe too good to the screen, so much is in the way he tells the story!



__________________

“Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.

 
 

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2391
Date:
Permalink  
 
Tir Airgid wrote:
Macha wrote:

@Tir, Cary and anyone here who is a Terry Pratchett fan. I've stumbled onto this, apparently a TV series based on his City Watch Discworld novels has been greenlit, with the first season consisting of 13 episodes. 


 Very interesting. I have my reservations though, Pratchett's wit and humour doesn't seem to transcribe too good to the screen, so much is in the way he tells the story!


 freakout clap



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Children Of The Forest VP
Status: Offline
Posts: 759
Date:
Permalink  
 
I'm barely digesting " On Beauty " by Zola Smith. Too many reads these days seem like chewing
on gristle compared to ASOIAF. I purchased " Simarillion ", but I have little appetite to read it.

I'm considering re-reading all my Octavia Butler books, beginning with " Wildseed ".

__________________

" None is so blind as those who will not see  "

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2648
Date:
Permalink  
 
WildSeed wrote:

I'm barely digesting " On Beauty " by Zola Smith. Too many reads these days seem like chewing
on gristle compared to ASOIAF. I purchased " Simarillion ", but I have little appetite to read it.

I'm considering re-reading all my Octavia Butler books, beginning with " Wildseed ".


 I tried Silmarillion too, but can't get past the first chapter.  I know it's a great book and hopefully I will get to the point where I can finish it.  Aw, did not know "Wildseed" is a book! Will have to pick it up, too.biggrin



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2391
Date:
Permalink  
 
Lyanna Stark wrote:
WildSeed wrote:

I'm barely digesting " On Beauty " by Zola Smith. Too many reads these days seem like chewing
on gristle compared to ASOIAF. I purchased " Simarillion ", but I have little appetite to read it.

I'm considering re-reading all my Octavia Butler books, beginning with " Wildseed ".


 I tried Silmarillion too, but can't get past the first chapter.  I know it's a great book and hopefully I will get to the point where I can finish it.  Aw, did not know "Wildseed" is a book! Will have to pick it up, too.biggrin


 I read Silmarillion when I was young and in my obsessed over all things Tolkein phase. My ADHD was a great help in those days. These days, my ADHD would be much more of a hindrance for a thickly written tome such as Silmarillion



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
How did you manage ASOIAF then, Cary? I read Silmarillion in high school so I don't remember the number of pages exactly, but surely A Storm of Swors for example comes close to it.
I can't read Tolkien anymore, I don't know why. Picked up the Children of Hurin a few months ago and couldn't make it past the first chapter.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
I loved Children of Hurin, but perhaps it's cause I like books that are written not as a story but as an Historical Narrative, which is why I liked the Appendices in LOTR.
WS and Lyanna, try listening to the Silmarillion Audio Book on youtube while reading it. Should go smoother.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2648
Date:
Permalink  
 
Cary Storm wrote:
Lyanna Stark wrote:
WildSeed wrote:

I'm barely digesting " On Beauty " by Zola Smith. Too many reads these days seem like chewing
on gristle compared to ASOIAF. I purchased " Simarillion ", but I have little appetite to read it.

I'm considering re-reading all my Octavia Butler books, beginning with " Wildseed ".


 I tried Silmarillion too, but can't get past the first chapter.  I know it's a great book and hopefully I will get to the point where I can finish it.  Aw, did not know "Wildseed" is a book! Will have to pick it up, too.biggrin


 I read Silmarillion when I was young and in my obsessed over all things Tolkein phase. My ADHD was a great help in those days. These days, my ADHD would be much more of a hindrance for a thickly written tome such as Silmarillion


 Martin is so good about putting his houses and characters in the back of his books for easy reference, which helped people who were newbies in GOT.  A like a long story, thick books are a kick for me.  But if it's the Book of Numbers, oh man, that is bedside reading for an instant snooze!



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2648
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

I loved Children of Hurin, but perhaps it's cause I like books that are written not as a story but as an Historical Narrative, which is why I liked the Appendices in LOTR.
WS and Lyanna, try listening to the Silmarillion Audio Book on youtube while reading it. Should go smoother.


 Thanks, your Grace.  I have a need for the written word, but will keep it in mind for my first audio book!



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
Try Leviticus, our Sunday school teacher would start reading Leviticus if we didn;'t behave.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2648
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

Try Leviticus, our Sunday school teacher would start reading Leviticus if we didn;'t behave.


 LOL! yawn Thanks for the tip, your Grace!



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
Reading "Inferno" by Max Hastings.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 

 

Reading "Love Stories" by Julia Kristeva, but you shouldn´t keep your hopes up ´cause this Bulgarian lady (a philosopher, literature and feminism´s theorist and a psychoanalyst) is quite a character, nothing romantic. I shouldn´t be reading this but she´s so interesting...

 Just a quote: "Being a psychoanalyst is to know that all stories end up talking about love... Our society doesn´t have a loving code anymore. In each private, intimate, shameful story, we seek to decipher the meanders of that evil that has a strange relationship with words. Idealization, tremor, excitement, passion;  desire of melting, of  deadly catastrophe towards immortality, love is the figure of the insoluble contradictions, the laboratory of our destiny.

Philosophy, religion, poetry, novel? Love stories from Plato to St. Thomas, from Romeo and Juliet to Don Juan, from Stendhal's minstrels, the Baudelaire´s Madonna to Bataille. Large symbolic elaborations says nothing that is not heard in the shadows, every day. Being psychically alive means being in love, or imprisoned in analysis of literature. As if all of human history was nothing but a huge and permanent transference."



-- Edited by andrea on Monday 15th of October 2012 11:56:46 AM

__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 

That sounds like a really interesting read, Andrea, never heard of her. Hmmm, this needs fixing.

Reading A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong (I'm not one for 'short histories' but I got this to read on my phone while riding on the metro) and Asimov. Every story of his that I can lay my hands on. LOVING it, and it was an author long overdue for me. 



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

That sounds like a really interesting read, Andrea, never heard of her. Hmmm, this needs fixing.

Reading A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong (I'm not one for 'short histories' but I got this to read on my phone while riding on the metro) and Asimov. Every story of his that I can lay my hands on. LOVING it, and it was an author long overdue for me. 


yes, you should fix that but I think I know why you never heard of her.  This woman made ​​me cry tears of frustration when I studied her. She makes a re-interpretation of the concept "surplus value" to literature (in “Semiotics”) that cost me hours to understand. I think my brain made a noise that night... like a "crack"... you know. Try it. Kristeva can drive you crazy, but it's worth it.

 



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2391
Date:
Permalink  
 
Just starting Midnight's Children.

__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
I haven't finished Midnight's Children yet, but it is fantastic! Totally insane, wonderful prose.
I've also started Dan Simmons' Song of Kali. Oh and just ordered J.K.Rowling's new book, we'll see how that is.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
Started reading Simon Scarrow's the Eagle series. Really a good read. Finished the first one and it reignited my passion for the Roman Empire and the Legion.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 

not currently reading, just a suggestion for those who enjoy the classics... or not, although is not written by a Greek. This is a small and very original version of the Odyssey (just a part): "Homer´s daughter" by Robert Graves. There´s a theory that says the Odyssey was written by a woman: Sicilian princess Nausícaa.



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Robert Graves, tell me quickly what have I read of his works, because I definitely know him. And because shitty memory.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

Robert Graves, tell me quickly what have I read of his works, because I definitely know him. And because shitty memory.


 I Claudius, Belisario, Greek Myths, King Jesus



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
I, Claudius, YES. I should re-watch the series too.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3430
Date:
Permalink  
 
So weird I just threw away Graves' "The White Goddess" the other day. No one would take that shit as a donation.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
Twenty years from now the teenage girls of today will catch on and will have the same problem with twilight.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 
Rygar wrote:

So weird I just threw away Graves' "The White Goddess" the other day. No one would take that shit as a donation.


  WUT??? years, YEARS looking for that book. no



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 

freakoutFinally! I was waiting month for this book: "El libro más peligroso" ("A most dangerous book"), Germania of Tacitus, from the Roman Empire to the Third Reich by Christopher Krebs, prof of Classics (?) at Harvard University. It´s a study book but wow, very interesting. If you like history go for it.



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

Braavosi Water Dancer
Status: Offline
Posts: 1815
Date:
Permalink  
 

ish it good? ish it tasty?



__________________

“Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.

 
 

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2391
Date:
Permalink  
 

I've started The Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Hamilton has put out several series of books, all of them wonderfully character driven epic Sci-fi stories (with a hint of fantasy elements to them).



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Cary Storm wrote:

I've started The Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Hamilton has put out several series of books, all of them wonderfully character driven epic Sci-fi stories (with a hint of fantasy elements to them).


 This was just published, right? I think I've heard about it. I should read Hamilton, I think I'd like him. I'm reading The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson. Pretty ok so far.



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Mistress of the Rookery
Status: Offline
Posts: 1960
Date:
Permalink  
 
Tir Airgid wrote:

ish it good? ish it tasty?


 ooooh give me some time dear, but I´m sure you´d love it.



__________________

 Messi has been and will always be one of my favorite players. It broke my heart a little bit that he didn't win today. Messi is awesome in every way. But Sean Penn still sucks all the dicks. Atat.

 

 

 

 
«First  <  1 2 3 4  >  Last»  | Page of 4  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Chatbox

Please log in to join the chat!

*NO book spoilers are allowed in chat*