Members Login
 

Topic: General book discussion thread. Heavy spoiler warning.

Post Info
Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
RE: General book discussion thread. Heavy spoiler warning.
Permalink  
 

Tyrion eyes are green and black, and to my knowledge the only other character with mismatched eyes is Shiera Seastar - blue and green, but just because she was a Targaryen bastard I wouldn't exactly call that a Targaryen trait.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 

Humph !

You must admit he mentions it A LOT ! Though..



-- Edited by YvyB on Monday 10th of September 2012 06:22:08 PM

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

Why would bran join the night's watch?


 Everything is in shambles in the North! Anything goes! 



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
If the eyes were important tv Tyrion would have them.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Um dunno... they didn't give Dany purple ones ...

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
They did that because the purple eyes did not translate well to screen, not because of the story or anything like that.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2611
Date:
Permalink  
 
YvyB wrote:

Yep, There's so much back story to play with ... I'm not saying the above is my theory as such , I was just looking for the passage that didn't say Brandon raped Ashara.


 I would be relieved.  I hate to think of Brandon raping anyone.  I hate to think of anyone raping anyone, but Brandon was betrothed to Catelyn Tully if memory serves.



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2611
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

From a literary perspective, I still think Tyrion's complexity as a character would benefit more if it turns out that he - the ugly dwarf - was the only son the great Tywin Lannister ever had. Also, I like the parallels between Cersei (Joffeey too) and Aerys, not to mention Jaime killing his own father - these are my kind of twists, because they seem so tragic and poetic at the same time.
Plus, I think there are way too many "if we were Targaryens" lines in the books and the show not to mean anything.

Cary - Ok, I'll be back with the 'evidence' shortly. :)



-- Edited by Macha on Monday 10th of September 2012 01:43:40 PM


 Cercei certainly uses the Targaryans in her arguments for Jaime and she in twincest plenty of times.  I.e. her conversation with Eddard Stark.



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

They did that because the purple eyes did not translate well to screen, not because of the story or anything like that.


 You see, in Gormenghast the young Duke (Titus Groan) had violet eyes the whole way through. They did some special effects for it. I don't think it's that hard. I guess Emilia doesn't want to have to put on contacts each appearance. But the things one is supposed to sacrifice for art! 



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

They did that because the purple eyes did not translate well to screen, not because of the story or anything like that.


 Not getting your point your Grace? Good for the goose?



__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
The dual eyes of Tyrion would have been easy to do, yet they didn't, which makes me think it's not important to the story. They wanted to do the purple eyes, but it didn't work well on screen for some or other reason. My point being if Tyrion's eyes were relevant to the story they would have put it in.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
So what's to say the duel eyes didn't work either ? Ya see what I'm saying? I don't think it's important to the story, as purple eyes have been deemed not important ... yet they are in the books .... so I still don't get your differentiating between the two.:)



__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
Someone pointed out that the dual eyes could be important to the story. Come one dark contact lens is not that difficult to do.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Neither's purple ones ! I've seen plenty ! Ha ha ! Stop arguing Aegon! :D

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
I'm just sayin what GRRM said, Purple eyes did not translate well on screen so they left it out.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
God I'm so tempted to retort... but I'll be the grown up here ....naaaaaaaa maybe Green and Bllack ones didn't either ... but he didn't mention it! Ha!



Tag your it!

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
Did you take a swing at the quiz?
Why won't green and black work? It;s really easy to do.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
I looked last night / this morning? No last night... and thought , um , yeah I don't know that much off the top off my head ... now I've avoided it as I KNOW I would read others answers.... I can not be trusted . Har!

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
*cough BOOK DISCUSSION cough cough*

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 

Okay, what the hell were Ravens doing clawing Catelyn's face????? Where did the fucking ravens come from?

 

(I know I missed something, but curse GRRM and his damn passive voice in the wrong place)



-- Edited by Cary Storm on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 11:20:47 AM

__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Wasn't it something like *she* was clawing at her face? And her nails felt like talons?

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

Wasn't it something like *she* was clawing at her face? And her nails felt like talons?


 That is NOT AT ALL clear in the book. Maybe it's just some really bad writing at that point and we're all too fucking caught up in the tragedy of the event to notice it. 



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 

"The tears burned like vinegar as they ran down her cheeks. Ten fierce ravens were raking at her face with sharp talons and tearing off strips of flesh etc. " 

Ten fierce ravens = her fingers. Because they're ten. HA. 



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
This is almost biblical, the tearing at her own face. And man, what nails. I'd like to see how she kept those up while on the trek from Riverrun to the Twins.

__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Macha wrote:

"The tears burned like vinegar as they ran down her cheeks. Ten fierce ravens were raking at her face with sharp talons and tearing off strips of flesh etc. " 

Ten fierce ravens = her fingers. Because they're ten. HA. 


 And seriously, GRRM.  That's just awful writing. I guess he was all caught up in the horrific event too.



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
I didn't cry during the Red Wedding.

But that scene where Jon Snow finds Ygritte after the battle at Castle Black...well, one has to be composed when riding the city bus, especially in a clergy collar, and I had to hold back the tears that were welling up in my eyes.

__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2611
Date:
Permalink  
 
Cary Storm wrote:

I didn't cry during the Red Wedding.

But that scene where Jon Snow finds Ygritte after the battle at Castle Black...well, one has to be composed when riding the city bus, especially in a clergy collar, and I had to hold back the tears that were welling up in my eyes.


 Cary, I start bawling whenever I see a meme that Macha or Tir put up about Starks, mostly.  Every stinking morning I come in, look them up and bawl. So, yeah it happens.  And yea, what Macha said, they were Lady Stark's nails.  Like you're tearing your hair out in grief/anger, it's too much to bear.



-- Edited by Lyanna Stark on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 03:06:12 PM

__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
The Raven's claws were scratching at the griffen's door of the Slither Inn ... because someone said his friend the Huffle was a puff!!

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Braavosi Water Dancer
Status: Offline
Posts: 1815
Date:
Permalink  
 
Lyanna Stark wrote:
 Cary, I start bawling whenever I see a meme that Macha or Tir put up about Starks, mostly.  Every stinking morning I come in, look them up and bawl.

 Now I feel guilty.



-- Edited by Tir Airgid on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 04:31:26 PM

__________________

“Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.

 
 

 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 

Getting to know DonalNoyesArm here, I took special interest in Donal Noyes in the novel. And so I was especially saddened when Jon found him dead beneath the Wall



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
Yeah but he died taking down a giant. Like a boss. Dead boss, but still a boss.

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
I really really hope they put his death in season 4 on screen, hell I really hope they cast him!

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2611
Date:
Permalink  
 
Tir Airgid wrote:
Lyanna Stark wrote:
 Cary, I start bawling whenever I see a meme that Macha or Tir put up about Starks, mostly.  Every stinking morning I come in, look them up and bawl.

 Now I feel guilty.



-- Edited by Tir Airgid on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 04. :31:26 PM


 No, no, Tir! I love your stuff truly.  Please keep posting it.  There may come a day when there are no Starks left to post.  Then I'll be truly sad.  Damn Martin! He better make it up to the Starks big time! furious



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

Lady Of The Blue Winter Rose
Status: Offline
Posts: 2611
Date:
Permalink  
 
Cary Storm wrote:

Getting to know DonalNoyesArm here, I took special interest in Donal Noyes in the novel. And so I was especially saddened when Jon found him dead beneath the Wall


 Me too Ser Cary.  I liked some of those wildlings.



__________________

Rhaegar, despite wounding Robert, was struck down with a massive blow from Robert's warhammer, which scattered the rubies encrusted in Rhaegar's armor under the water.  Rhaegar died with Lyanna Stark's name on his lips.

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
A day when the wolves return

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Where does it say or allude to Brandon Stark raping Ashara Dayne? I feel mind fucked right now.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Rygar wrote:

Where does it say or allude to Brandon Stark raping Ashara Dayne? I feel mind fucked right now.


 It doesn't Rygar. If you look further back in post I have quotes ... She was dishonered by "a man" and went to a Stark.

I think someone has drawn there own conclusions. Personally I think it was the King, Aerys and Barristan can't even admit it too himself, in his own mind "a man" .



__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 
I think the association with Brandon Stark comes from the fact that he seems to be portrayed more and more like the "wild" one of the family in ADwD (see Lady Dustin's conversation with Theon, for example).

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Grand Maesterbator
Status: Offline
Posts: 3382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Oh ok. A bit of a stretch then. I would think that if Brandon had this reputation than someone like Cat would have been more overjoyed to have Ned take his place. From what I remember in her POV is that she loved Brandon and had to learn to love Ned. Now it could be that Ned left immediately after they were married and brought back a bastard upon his return that caused Cat to be reluctant at first, but again, since we have her POV chapters, I would think she would have had some reservations about Brandon when he was discussed.

__________________

"If you drink, don't drive.  Don't even putt."  - Dean Martin

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 

Does anyone here have any theories about the connection between Bloodraven (who's mother was a Blackwood) and that enormous, dead weirwood at Raventree? I can't believe I missed this the first time I read ADwD, but it seems significant now.



-- Edited by Macha on Tuesday 18th of September 2012 03:12:24 PM

__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Where all the Ravens go at night ? I wondered if they were part of his entourage. Maybe it's connected to Coldhands ...As I still have a theory that Bloodraven called someone back by mistake ... like he tells Bran not to do with Ned . Maybe it happened there and it killed the tree ... Crackpot I know ...

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Braavosi Water Dancer
Status: Offline
Posts: 1815
Date:
Permalink  
 
That's very interesting, Yvy. Do you remember exactly what he told Bran?

__________________

“Fear is a strange soil. It grows obedience like corn, which grow in straight lines to make weeding easier. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.”

― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.

 
 

 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Hmmm. Now I've gone back to find it ...Not sure , ha ha ! I really should re read the entire series instead of jumping in and out ...

However the quote is from Leaf not Bloodraven... "He's gone, boy .Do not seek to call him back from death."

As if that were possible?

Then Bloodraven goes on to say he has his own ghosts ... "but no word of mine has ever reached them "

So I'm not sure where I got that idea from ... Ha ha .

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Priestess of R'hllor
Status: Offline
Posts: 3348
Date:
Permalink  
 

Bran seems to be able to, however. Ned hears only the rustling of leaves but Theon hears them calling his name.
This theory of yours about Coldhands is very interesting, YvyB. Why would Bloodraven have called him back, though? Was it just an accident or did he want him specifically?



__________________

"Fuck you, Andy Pandy. I AM the loop."

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
If I could find the words for the thought process ... darn ... I think he did it by mistake . It's the words of the CotF saying he's very old .. (Coldhands that is ) that makes me think he's been around a long time ... longer than any living human ... possibly a Stark which is why he hides his face as Bran may recognize him...

But possibly someone else ... Argh ! It could actually drive you mad thinking of all the subplots ..

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
If the birds flying at Ned's execution had happened in the book, I might have thought that Coldhands was Ned, who warged into the birds was called by BloodRaven and warged into a dead man.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Lord Bannerman Of The Smileys
Status: Offline
Posts: 2382
Date:
Permalink  
 
Aegon the Conqueror wrote:

If the birds flying at Ned's execution had happened in the book, I might have thought that Coldhands was Ned, who warged into the birds was called by BloodRaven and warged into a dead man.


 Have I stumbled into the Crackpot theory thread by accident? 



__________________

"There's no cure for being a cunt."  Bronn
"King Stannis is my god."  Davos
"Who the fuck is Jon Snow?"  Locke

High King and Conqueror of the Seven Kingdoms
Status: Offline
Posts: 1399
Date:
Permalink  
 
No just came naturally cause of the earlier raven and Coldhands comments.

__________________

AS private parts we are to the gods, they play with us for their sport. 

Goddess of Tits and Wine
Status: Offline
Posts: 1830
Date:
Permalink  
 
Ok here Dracarys :)

__________________

  That is what I do . . I drink and I know things 

 

Recruit
Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:
Permalink  
 
thank you. i want catelyn to love jon like her child if jon survives because of some crackpot reason.

__________________
 
«First  <  1 2 3 4 5  >  Last»  | Page of 5  sorted by
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Chatbox

Please log in to join the chat!

*NO book spoilers are allowed in chat*